Peristeam Hydrotherapy is a beautiful way to prepare for labor and incredibly powerful, traditional postpartum care. Care which I personally thoroughly enjoyed for myself.
Steaming during pregnancy is contraindicated until reaching full term where it can come into play for labor preparation and active labor support. Steaming is also an incredibly powerful tool for boosting postpartum recovery during the fourth trimester and beyond by continuing to provide nourishment, strengthening and healing for encouraging optimal recovery until the (hopefully very healthy) menstrual cycle’s return ideally 9-12 months later.
I personally did all three and continue to steam weekly to keep my cycle from returning prematurely and to set myself up for smooth, unproblematic bleeds. At the time of writing this, I’m currently 6 months postpartum.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, the body requires 3 conditions to go into labor
While steaming does not initiate or induce labor, it does support all 3 of those necessary conditions which can help encourage the natural process along. Steaming supports the body’s natural changes as it prepares to go into labor, it does not cause them.
Steaming can also be used in preparation for scheduled C-sections or inductions. The only hard contraindication to steaming for labor preparation is placenta previa.
GBS exists in all vaginas and is always present. In cases where tests show high amounts, steaming can be used to rebalance levels and avoid taking antibiotics.
Steaming during active labor can help support repositioning, “stalled” labor, provide comfort, relaxation and pain relief. In my own labor, just a few hours (is time even real during labor??) before my son was born, my traditionally trained midwives helped me steam over a coffee mixture. I was nearing transition so it was not particularly relaxing, but it helped in assisting my son, who had been staying fairly high up the whole time, make his way down to the birth canal.
While there is evidence of steaming from cultures on every continent, the one thing they all have in common is using this ancestral practice for the common purpose of Postpartum healing. Known in Ayurveda as “The Golden Window”, the fourth trimester can be a time used for deep healing. The goal is to heal to pre-pregnancy state, and even address imbalances that were present then as the body is totally open and penetrable. In colonial culture, we see health unfortunately deteriorate after childbirth. With traditional postpartum care, which includes Peristeam Hydrotherapy, we can return to/create a new state of near perfect health.
Postpartum steaming helps:
- clear out lochia, providing faster recovery time and lowering the risk of infection
- close the vaginal canal, supporting the pelvic floor
- lift the uterus back into position
- address prolapse if present
- alleviate discomfort of stitches and accelerate healing
- reduce bladder incontinence
- reduce tissue swelling
- lower blood pressure and high pulses
- diminish hemorrhoids
- reduce bloating by dispersing water retention
- reduce strength and occurrence of postpartum contractions
- improve the dreaded postpartum poops
- address past problems like cysts, fibroids and other pathologies that can now be targeted more directly while the cervix is open
- promote the release of oxytocin, helping with breastmilk production, according to a study done on rats
- keep the cycle from returning until the optimal 9-12 months range
To see the Steamy Chick Institute’s study on the effects of postpartum steaming see their Fourth Trimester Vaginal Steam Study.
Each body, pregnancy, labor and postpartum is unique and requires specific protocols to address their situations safely. In this container we will work together closely to make sure your specific needs are met safely.
Starting at 36 weeks, this container provides you + a partner with:
- Weekly video connections starting at 36 weeks to begin preparation and education in digestible bites
- Menstrual cycle analysis
- Individualized steam plans and custom herbal formulas for
- labor preparation
- active labor
- first 30 days postpartum
- beyond the first 30 days until the menstrual cycle returns (ideally at 9-12 months postpartum which is what this steam plan is designed to encourage)
- if 12 months postpartum and the menstrual cycle has not yet returned, a new steam plan will be formulated to encourage it to start
- Wholly Wombxn steam seat + tote bag
- Anytime support via Voxer from 36 weeks to 2 months postpartum, checkins available thereafter if anything comes up
My approach is intended not for you to depend on me, nor attempt to be the authority over your body, only to guide you and offer information in safely using powerful practices so you may be empowered in your own healing as the sovereign, Wholly being you are.
After our time together, you will be fully equipped to continue your practice on your own.
If there are any changes to your cycle or needs in the future, a returning client consult will be available for you.
– Payment plans available, please email email@example.com with the subject line “payment plan inquiry” and include the package you are interested in, I will be happy to set something up for you that works for the both of us. I am also happy to discuss trades of services and/or goods! –
*Please note, at this time, this package does not come with your supply of herbs, only the recipe. You will be responsible for purchasing your own herbs which are typically readily available and not very expensive.*
There are no reviews yet.